dasf

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Experience with FRCSim (Also the 100th Post!)

FRC is a robotics competition where teams make robots that do challenges. Today, I attempted to set up Eclipse for FRC and download a virtual simulator. To put things simply, it was quite painful to accomplish.

The virtual simulator only supports Ubuntu. And by Ubuntu, I mean ONLY Ubuntu. My computer used to be Linux Mint, and after 30 minutes trying to install everything, I finally found out that the virtual simulator only supports Ubuntu. I had to reinstall Ubuntu onto my computer.

After an hour or two of installing, Ubuntu was finally ready for use. Except for the Internet. The wifi dongle on my Linux box had caused problems in the past, and had to have a driver downloaded to be able to receive wifi.

Thankfully, the people at FRC gave us commands to put in the command prompt to "easily download everything". The download took about 10 minutes, and it downloaded Eclipse and the virtual simulator. Things were starting to look up! Nope, the "easy" command that FRC gave us was missing a very important part, the actual virtual worlds. So we downloaded the .zip file, called worlds.zip, and put all the worlds in.

The simulator finally looked like it was ready! I ran the program, and the world loaded! There were still problems, though, such as the terribly slow speed and the fact that the robot was stuck in the ground, but everything else was good!

This is what I learned today:
  • Gazebo (the virtual sim) only works on Ubuntu
  • The Edimax wifi dongle sucks
  • Remember to also download the worlds.zip with FRC's command
  • Use a good computer
Weird thing:

No comments:

Post a Comment